Dietitians are essential members of the health care team. A good diet can improve or decrease the impact of many conditions such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, obesity, cancer and many others.
Southern Health-Santé Sud dietitians are located in hospitals, personal care homes and different settings in the community.
Dietitians provide the following nutrition services in hospitals:
- Identify nutrition problems and assess the nutritional status of patients and residents
- Develop care plans and monitor the effectiveness of nutrition interventions
- Counsel patients on special diet modifications
- Provide nutrition education to clients and their families
Dietitians in the community:
- Provide individual outpatient counseling
- Facilitate group education sessions on various nutrition-related topics. Consult with community groups and schools
- Provide healthy eating resources and education sessions for health care professionals
Do you have a nutrition question and don’t know who to ask? Would you like to see a registered dietitian in your community for nutrition counseling, but don’t know where to go? Call Manitoba’s Dial-a-Dietitian hotline to find out where you can see a registered dietitian and get answers to your food and nutrition questions. Call 1-877-830-2892 to speak to a Registered Dietitian and receive personal, professional and free nutrition information.