The Personal Health Information Act (PHIA) gives you two primary rights: the right to access your own personal health information and the right to expect that the privacy of that information will be protected. The right to access includes the right to see your personal health information, get a copy of it, and request a correction to it. The right to privacy also includes the right to know why your information is being collected and the right to have that information kept confidential and secure changes by trustees who collect and maintain it.

Requesting Access Personal Health Information

If you have been a client of Southern Health-Santé Sud and would like to request access to your health information, please complete the Request to Access Personal Health Information Form and submit to the contact listed on this page.

If you are unable to print the Request for Access Personal Health Information Form, you may submit a written request to the contact listed on this page including:

  • full name
  • date of birth – use abbreviations for the month (for example Jan)
  • Personal Health Information Number (PHIN) – 9 digit
  • mailing address
  • telephone number(s)
  • identify the facility or program and community that your services were provided
  • type of information you are requesting
  • time period the information is from
  • date of the request
  • your signature

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I request access to my health information while I am still a patient, client, or resident within the region?

Ask your health care provider to see or receive a copy of your information. If your request involves a large amount of information or is not available to the health care provider, you will be required to contact a Privacy Officer and may be asked to provide a form of identification to protect the privacy of this information.

Does it cost anything to request my health records?

If your information is sent to another physician or health care provider, there is no charge. If you request to view your health information record or obtain copies, there is an administrative fee and photocopy charge.

How soon will I be able to view or receive copies of my information?

Upon receipt of your request, you will be contacted within:

  • 24 hours if you are an inpatient in a hospital 
  • 72 hours if you are a resident in a personal care home; or are receiving community or outpatient services 
  • 30 days if you are not currently receiving care
What if I want my records released to another individual?
  • If you would like your information provided to another health care provider who will be providing care to you, the information will be sent at your request. 
  • If you would like the information released to family, a lawyer, police or any other person who will not be providing care to you, you will need to provide us with an original signed consent form.
  • A consent form is available for you.
How do I obtain records on an individual who has deceased?

We will ask you to fill out the Request to Access Personal Health Information Form signed by the personal representative (e.g. executor/executrix) prior to providing access to the information.

More Questions?

If you have any questions regarding your health information, contact our Regional Officer - Privacy and Access, 204-822-2655 or email.